Monday, December 15, 2008

Two or Three Things I Know About Her

Most the Godard films we were exposed to were very difficult for me to grasp, I believe this class will motivate me to obtain a Netflix account, do some research of the 60's in France and re-watch the films by Godard we viewed. My lack of knowledge of the politics at the time seem to be tainting my view and understanding of Godard. I realize he is a great and innovative artist and is definitely worth researching and attempting to understand.

There is a definite lack of plot in this film. It is more of a documentary with actors and actresses than a fictional tale. Godard even goes as far as introducing the main actress in the beginning of the film. Since I am an English major and a slappy for fiction I found this style of film difficult to cope with. I do not need a strong plot, just something to temporarily let me believe that it is not a film.

We learned in class that there were problems with the government housing in Paris at the time. This film certainly depicts the noisy, cramped and overpriced cookie cutter living that was available. I however, do not know the reasoning behind why so many people were forced to live in these sort of expensive slums. This is something I may have to research before I can fully understand. I did notice that the main character may of liked her profession as a prostitute. It allowed her to afford new clothes and hats (she was shown shopping at the beginning of the film). This gives me reason to believe that Godard was trying to depict that the characters life style was a choice and not a necessity. It makes ask questions such as; why can't a prostitute be a normal middle class woman? What in society has shunned supposedly the worlds oldest profession? A modern day argument can be the spread of disease and AIDS. Another argument can be the introduction of religion. This is not discussed in the film, obviously the prior AIDS theory was before the films time, but this is what I was thinking instead of trying to follow a sensible line of fiction.

Apparently Godard achieved his goal. He made me think. His lack of plot forced me to produce my own. This may be a positive attribute, a film as a living and breathing thing, producing different ideas in every individual each time we watch. It is one of those things that is so innovative I may hate to like it.

No comments: