Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"

I did not particularly enjoy this film. I am not a fan of musicals and this was beyond a musical. Every bit of dialogue was delivered in song, this made me lose my sanity twenty minutes into the film. I could not find a character that I could relate to and did not particularly like Guy or Genvieve. Guy seemed like a fairy tale depiction of women's desires. He was handsome, simple, caring and sensitive. In my opinion the character was a complete fabrication, I don't know, maybe it was all the singing. Genvieve was naive, spoiled and incapable of making any rational decision. I believe we were supposed to dislike her mother, but I absolutely despised her to the point where I did not want to see her on screen. She practically forced Genvieve to get together with the jeweler while Guy was off fighting a war. She was interested in nothing else but the Jewelers money and used her daughter to get connected to a man with wealth. This is prostitution with the mother acting as the pimp, selling her own daughter. In the end it looked as if Guy full filled his dream of opening his own gas station and Genvieve was a simple play thing to her wealthy husband. This gave me some closure, at least Genvieve's decision to not wait for Guy and marry the jeweler came back to haunt her.

On a bright note, the illuminating colors of the films were indeed interesting. The way the film was shot and the use of color may have been the only positive I took from my viewing. I do not know very much about cinematography, but I do know that the film was aesthetically appealing.

No comments: